One of 74 Martello Towers built along the south coast to defend against Napoleon in the early 1800’s, the Wish Tower built on grassed slopes is number 73. Read more about the history on this website!
About the Friends
The Wish Tower Friends is a group of people, from Eastbourne and beyond, who want to encourage more people to visit and appreciate the Wish Tower.
We took over the tower in 2013, on a short term lease from Eastbourne Borough Council which has been renewed on an ongoing basis. These are our aims:
- To ensure public access to the Tower is maintained
- To find out more about the Tower’s colourful history and to tell its story to others
- To raise funds to put towards the repair of the Tower
- To work with the Council with the long term aim of restoration of the Tower and securing its future
- To act as a community voice in any plans for the wider site incorprating the Tower, moat, Wish Tower Slopes, and Western Lawns
Since first taking over the lease, we have cared for the Tower as well as available funds have allowed and conducted tours for well over 10,000 people. We’ve also staged more than a dozen other events. We’ve now completed historical and structural surveys, and are continuing to raise funds for its restoration.
We’re looking for more volunteers – if you’re interested in helping to show people around, helping with historical research, or looking after the building or website – please do get in touch.